Land Rover Series 1 86" 1 owner for last 53 years- Barn Find 72,000 miles
It has been in long term ownership for the last 53 years. It was last on the road in 1967 and during that time was only used in the winter so that the family could commute to their business. This led to it being basically "mothballed" only 12 years or so after first leaving the factory, hence why it has only covered 72,000 miles. There are only 4 keepers on the original buff log book the first being Hatton Motors Ltd in Birmingham then The Colray Engineering Co again in Birmingham. It them moved up to Montgomery in 1961 where it has remained ever since. On the current V5 there is only 1 registered keeper. SOA 868 was first registered on 28th September 1955. It has chassis number 170600453 and is a matching numbers vehicle.
The vehicle has a excellent chassis that only requires welding on the rear cross member. The bulkhead has a small hole in the A post but is not something that requires immediate attention. It even has its original elephant hide seats in the front and back and they are in very good conduction for their age. This vehicle has some very original features such as original horns, smiths heater, trafficators, Lucas wing mirrors that extend, correct pork pie lights, spare wheel, tool kit including handle, pump etc. There are quite a few spares in the back as well. The exhaust hasn't been fitted yet. In the back it even had a genuine complete new old stock exhaust. The original canvas is a bit unserviceable, but it does have glass panels in it with very similar glass retainer/trim to the windscreen. It even has its spare keys and keys for the door lock, there is a very old label on the keys from Bamford Ltd Uttoxeter not sure whether they serviced or owned the vehicle.
At present we have not decided what we want to do with the vehicle as we know it only needs light recommissioning.
We have finally managed to get her running after 45 years of her standing. All that we had to do was change the fuel pump, clean and reset the points and fit the correct fan belt. After this we found that the radiator had a slight leak in the bottom corner so whilst the radiator was off we thought it was a good opportunity to clean up the engine.
We have tried some polish on the front wing and door today and the original bronze green paint is coming up very well really didn't expect it to be this good!
Back to Barn Finds